The Screen with and without the patinated copper leaves.
Morris came into the forge on Friday to have a forging experience with us. He wanted to make a Dragon headed poker for his Parents 65th Wedding anniversary. His Dad was a Welsh coal miner so the subject was apt! See below for shots of the dragon's creation.
He also left a lovely review of his day on the craftcourses,com website http://www.craftcourses.com/course/blacksmithing-experience-day
Helen cut out the profile of a barn owl in stainless steel and Roger and James forged the wing and tail feathers.
Taking tracings from the working drawing Helen has been chalking and plamsa cutting the individual bunches of oakleaves, before they are cleaned up and laid in place.
There is still a lot of tweaking to do but the lower elements are definitely starting to come together. Shame the light is still a bit dim to see it properly in the photos.
Here are some photos of Helen patinating the reousse copper leaves she's made for the Oak Tree Screen. A special thanks to Wayne McKinney for all his help with explaining some of the dark arts of the patina.
Finally delivered the avocets this morning, and took a photo of a gate we made a few months ago showing the patina of the etched glavanising.
First we've been laying them out (see the photo below of Roger concentrating!), then welding, cleaning and tweaking (see successive photos).
After drawing up on sheet metal with chalk we cut the elements to fit, lay them out and TIG weld them together. Now it need some cleaning and tweaking to liven it up.
Amongst other things today we've been finishing off the shaping of the flower buds.
The photos show some details and stages of the process. Tomorrow will be assembling the leaves and buds into the complete plant.
The process of making a leaf; forged out of 8mm round mild steel.
Photos of the Screen drawn up with details of the various seed heads and plasma cut foilage.
At long last the Avocets are finished - laquered on the black patches (bill, head, wing and tail bars) so the darker colour is fixed and the rest left to lighten as the acid etch interacts with rainwater.
I was struck when photographing the piece by the shadows cast in the bright sunshine following a wintry shower and the droplets of rain still visible on the freshly painted laquer.
Here are some photos of our trusty Blacker 'C' Power-hammer at work texturing some pieces of square bar which will form part of the oak tree screen.
In the forge the light is often low so I had to open up the aperture and decrease the shutter speed to get the right exposure. I was enchanted by the blur of the hot steel as it is struck by the hammer head.
Our current major commission is a 2.5 m square screen with a mixture of metals, textures and finishes.
Here is an example of our recently honed skills at copper oak leaf patination (with thanks to Wayne at http://www.mckinneyfoundry.co.uk/)...
...and an action shot of the outcome of the new rosebud tooling we made.
Thanks to Harry I have the loan of a Nikon D100 with Macro Lens. Wow!
So that's what a hand forged rose looks like...
We've nearly finished the pair of avocets. They have been hot zinc sprayed and weakly etched to give a more subtle colour. Tomorrow we'll laquer them to fix the colour on the darker parts and release them into the wild.
Just finished polishing this herd of stainless steel seahorse pizza cutters. One is a commission and the other two have yet to be rehomed.
This is the sketch for the next project in the forge. It is to sit on top of a well shaft and needs to be finished by Christmas!
For our Office Christmas Party we went to see Gogol Bordello at the UEA. Wow!